Now many people have decorative and scented candles in their homes. These small interior elements create a kind of romantic and magical atmosphere. However, lovers of such candles are often faced with the consequences – the remains of wax on the bottom and walls of the cup, as well as on the glass furniture. Wax streaks not only spoil the appearance of the product but also interfere with its further use. So how to remove candle wax from glass table so that there is no residue?
Methods to Remove Candle Wax on Glass Surface
Cleaning glass from candle wax is not difficult. There are a few simple and effective ways that will help you cope with this task quickly and without special devices. It is worth considering a few basic ways to easily remove candle wax from glass – freezing, melting, and scraping.
One effective way to remove candle wax from glass is by freezing it. This can be done using the freezer compartment of your refrigerator.
But it is worth remembering one important rule that before you put the glass object in the freezer it should be allowed to cool down. Otherwise, because of a sharp temperature drop, the glass can crack.
Checking whether you can cool the candlestick is very simple. It is enough to take it in the hand, and if the glass does not burn the skin, you can begin to act.
Freezing will take about 40 minutes. During this time, the candle wax will become more dense. Its volume and will decrease, which will allow you to easily remove it from the surfaces. For the remaining wax particles, it is better to use an ordinary kitchen knife.
Then you need to wipe the surface with a cotton pad or a cloth moistened with vinegar. Then the glass will become transparent and shiny.
Another effective way to remove candle wax from glass is to melt it.
And here you can use a variety of improvised means, for example:
- hot water;
- hair dryer;
The most easily available, if the table is small and the glass on it is removable, is hot water. It is enough to put the glass in hot water. And when the wax melts, rinse off the rest. It is very important to make sure that the melted wax does not get into the sink drain. It will solidify in the pipe. The water won’t be able to drain, which will cause the plumbing to clog.
You can also use an option with a pot and a small amount of water:
- The glass should be placed on the bottom of the pot so that no water can get into it.
- Bring the water to 50-60 ° C.
- After a while, the wax will melt.
- You can easily clean melted wax with a napkin.
- Then the glass should be washed in hot water, using dishwashing detergent.
You can also wash the candle wax from the glass surface under hot water, preliminarily blocking the drain:
- It is necessary to fill the glass surface with water.
- Wait a little longer.
- When the wax melts, it will float to the surface.
- Then the remains will be easy to remove with a kitchen knife.
- To make the glass shine, you need to moisten a dishwashing sponge with hot water and wipe the surface.
Well, if the glass from the table is not removable, there is another option.
The next option to clean glass surfaces from wax is to use a homemade hair dryer:
- The hot air jet should be directed to the place where the wax is stuck.
- Do not bring the hair dryer too close to the glass to prevent it from cracking.
- Hold the hair dryer at a distance of 25-40 cm from the surface.
- The melted wax can be removed with a napkin or paper towel.
- Then wash the glass with detergent or soap.
One way to remove wax from a glass plate is to place it in an oven heated to 90 °C:
- Also, if you lay parchment paper on the baking tray, you won’t have to spend a lot of time cleaning it up later.
- Place the glass object on the tray upside down, so that the wax, melting, could freely flow out.
- It will take about 15 minutes to heat.
- It is important that as soon as all the wax flows out onto the tray, you need to turn off the oven and take it out so that the wax does not have time to ignite.
- It is easy to remove the remaining glassware with a paper towel.
At the end, rinse it with hot water and soap or detergent.
Glass Cleaner Method
Glass cleaners can also help remove wax from a glass table top, especially if the wax is not thickened.
- Apply glass cleaner to the wax. You can also try making a homemade glass cleaner instead of glass cleaner.
- Remove the wax with a paper towel.
- If the first procedure does not completely remove the wax, continue until the surface is free of wax.
- Wash the surface with warm water and soap to remove any wax residue.
- Wipe the plate with a warm, clean, damp cloth.
You can use a sharp blade, kitchen knife, or scraper for this method. They are great for removing wax from glass. But you must be careful when using this method. After all, a sharp object can leave traces on the surface. This will very much spoil the appearance of the object.
After separating the wax from the glass, you need to remove the wax flakes with a dry cloth. Then wipe the surface with a cloth, using glass cleaner or sunflower oil.
To determine how and what to clean wax from glass, it is necessary to understand the origin of the wax material. After all, as a rule, “wax” is called several compositions:
This material is of natural origin. Most often used in cosmetology and medicine.
The substance is the result of the industrial processing of petroleum. It is used for the production of candles, machinery lubricants, and industrial needs.
The material is obtained artificially and is used in various industries, in the production of rubber, soap, and decorative candles.
Therefore, before you start removing wax from surfaces, you need to understand what kind of product is to be dealt with. Each type has its own melting point. This means that it is necessary to remove them at different temperatures.
It is also worth paying attention to the material of the surface where the wax stain is left. In the case of fragile glass, it is necessary to choose gentle means, suitable for this particular surface.
It is important to begin cleaning the wax as soon as possible after it has come into contact with the glass. If the stain is already very hardened and dry, it will be more difficult to remove.
To avoid unpleasant consequences when cleaning hardened wax, it is worth considering a few things.
- The window must be open while the wax is being melted using a hair dryer.
- You must avoid sudden changes in temperature so as not to damage the glass.
- Do not heat candle wax in a microwave oven. As the chemical fumes may damage the heating element.
- Do not use the dishwasher for items with wax residue, because the wax flakes can clog the filter.
- When choosing what to clean the wax off the glass with, it’s best to prefer fleece rags or paper towels.
- Use a plastic knife or ceramic scraper to avoid scratching the glass surface when scraping the wax off.
How to Keep the Glass Clean
Glass countertops can be cared for with glass cleaners. In the case of dried-on stains from dishes or food, first, wash the surface with a warm soapy solution, then rinse with water and dry with a soft cloth that absorbs moisture well.
There are general rules of glass care:
- Use only cleaners that are labeled to be used for cleaning windows or mirrors.
- Do not use cleaners that contain abrasive particles, as they can scratch or cloud the glass.
- Do not clean the surface with hard or metal brushes to avoid damage.
- Do not leave the surface wet.
Traces may be left behind after the drips have dried. Once you have washed the surface, wipe it dry with a soft, dry microfiber cloth. And to remove moisture from large glass surfaces, it’s best to use a special rubber squeegee.
Video: How to Remove Candle Wax from Glass Table
If you wanna know how to remove candle wax from a glass, watch this video.
How to remove wax from glass is a challenge everyone can face. In order to successfully cope with it, it is important to know some subtleties. They will help remove the dirt quickly and effortlessly. The right method will allow things to delight their owner’s appearance for a long time. Here is how to color candle wax.